Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mixed Media Challenge Feb "Think Pink" BOX OF CHOCOLATES

 
It's hard to throw away some boxes and tins that have held something special, or those that I'm sure will hold something special in the future.  The heart box that last year held some yummy chocolates was a perfect size to try some newtome techniques and paints.

First I spread gesso over the top and bottom of the box, then dabbed some pink, green and purple paint to cover each.  Then I used my new crackled texture paste.  I tinted a small amount of it red and after spreading in somewhat of a heart shape on the center of the top, tried to imprint a stamp.  It didn't work, but the texture created when I lifted the stamp worked for me.  I set it aside to dry overnight and was pleased with the cracked surface the next day.


Then I was ready to use my embossing powders from about 10 years ago, VersaMark pen, and heat gun.  I used gold powder on "chocolates" and 5 hearts and white pearl on squiggles on the cracked heart.  On the back, I used red, gold, silver and pearl powder for the embossed hearts.  So nice some craft stuff seems to last forever!  I had to throw out some other old craft items just the day before :(

Silver metallic paint was used around the front and back edges.  Then I used the same silver on a couple of torn cardboard pieces that after the paint dried, I embossed "Love" and 3 hearts with red powder.  I used some pieces of matt board under these two to give them some lift.

Finally a heart bow was glued on the edge of the box and a silver heart glued to the center of the bow.


4 comments:

  1. What a great altered candy box! Love all your colors and techniques. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty valentine box! i hope something even prettier gets placed inside for this saturday ;) Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! Love the process of covering the box! Thanks for joining us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely piece, love what you did, just gorgeous! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!!

    ReplyDelete