Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Art Journal Cover in the Pink MMM Challenge

Just like being a new blogger, I've also just started to Art Journal.  I have 3 journals at the present....and have a long way to go before I'm happy with my journaling!  The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge "Think Pink", made me think this would be a good time to make a cover for one journal.

 
The base of my project, besides the book, was a piece of canvas.  I painted the edges with a aqua paint dabber along the edges with extra paint on the edge that would be glued over the book cover edge.  Then I used a chevron stencil with bright pink paint dabber and put aside to dry. (the yarn tassel was added after the cover dried!)

 
A piece of brown burlap, cut a bit smaller than the canvas, was used for the next layer and as a base for my embellishments.  After fraying the burlap I covered the center with a layer of gesso. Then I used the aqua and bright pink paint dabbers on spots over the gesso and also using the chevron stencil. 

 
Using white on white fabric, backed with interfacing, I swished the pink dabber over the fabric and a aqua pen to print "cReAtInG" and fancied the letters with a little loopy edge. On a smaller piece of this fabric, I used the pink paint to swish some color.  This will be the background for my initial.

 
I dabbed some aqua paint on two pieces of metal, my initial, J, and a leafy piece.

 
Now time to add the embellishments to the burlap. I used French knots, couching, and a whip stitch to attach the 2 fabric pieces, 2 metal pieces and lovely fuzzy yarn (on the left side of top).  Two button flowers adorn the cover also using seed beads and chain stitch stems.  I used aqua and pink thread for a random straight stitch in a couple of areas and also a few French knots in lime green thread for some POP!  (I love  embroidery!)

The burlap was glued to the canvas and with the lime green thread, I attached the two together with a straight stitch around the outside.


5 comments:

  1. What a fun cover for your art journal. I love all the textures and how you used pink! Thanks so much for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love Burlap!! What a great art journal cover - Love the mix of embroidery on there! So much fun!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Love the use of burlap. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fabulous piece, really love what you did here, it looks fantastic! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. starting a new journal is such an exciting feeling! i love that you designed the front and can't wait to see what you add to the pages inside! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete